When people drift through the tortures of starvation, scientists warn that the real reason is given by the appearance of anorexia and not by excessive weight or obesity. In this direction, Russian scientists believe that anorexia is, in fact, a dangerous mental disharmony that, over time, can lead to schizophrenia.
About 90% of anorexia cases recorded worldwide relates to adolescents between the age of 12 to 24 years. The remaining 10% are old men and women, who, as a result of depression came to be underfeed.
“Anorexia is always accompanied by a pathological desire to lose weight, as well as an intense fear of obesity. People suffering from this disease presents a wrong perception of their body. They see themselves as overweight, although, in reality, they suffer from a form of dystrophy.
To lose weight, patients with anorexia torture themselves with demanding diets, exhausting exercise, self-cleaning procedures and induced vomiting after meals “, explains Ruzanna Akopyan, a specialist in anorexic psychoanalysis.
According to her criteria, Professor Akopyan said that reliable signs of anorexia are:
1. Patients always feel overweight, being obsessively concerned about certain parts of their body.
2. Often, they eat standing and portion the food into very small pieces.
3. Frequently suffer from insomnia.
4. They isolate themselves from society.
5. They are terrorized by the thought they may gain weight.
Specialists around the world don’t have a common view on the causes of anorexia. However, most believe that this disease is triggered by genetic and biological factors, psychological conflicts, social problems and, finally, factors in the environment.