U.S. President Barack Obama was nominated by the Norwegian Committee for the Nobel Prize as this year’s winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Barack Obama has earned this award for “extraordinary diplomatic efforts to strengthen international relations and cooperation between nations”.
On the nominations list for the Nobel Peace Prize also were:
– Colombian Senator Piedad Cordoba, which advocates for the ending of the civil war in his country
– Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal of Jordan, the promoter of inter-religious dialogue
– Physician Sima Samar, supporters of human rights in Afghanistan
– Chinese dissident Hu Jia
– Prime Minister of Zimbabwe, Morgan Tsvangirai
– Vietnamese dissident Tchich Quang Do
– AVIC Chechen Lidia Iussupova
– Ingrid Betancourt, a politician and anti-corruption activist of French origin who has been kidnapped by the Colombian Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in 2002 and released in 2008.